This is the slightly negative part of BitNewss NFT NYC report. For an intro, and the positive side of the event click here.
Since we will quote this CNBC report later on, let’s paint a picture of NFT NYC with their words.
“Inside the Marriott Marquis nearby, where the conference has rented six floors, crowds packed the hallways, flanked by vendors taking up almost all available floor space. Many in the crowd, mostly men ranging from teens to late 30s, were in a perpetual state of pitching their idea for how to improve on what they all seem to agree is the future of art and digital collectibles.”
That’s it. Let’s go to the Tweets, videos, and pictures.
ETH price chart for 06/25/2022 on Binance | Source: ETH/USD on TradingView.com
The NFT NYC Conference – The Bad
Let’s get to what you were actually looking for, NFT NYC’s own brand of cringe.
- Does this picture show the reality of the situation at NFT NYC? You be the judge.
NFT mfers on Twitter: “NFT NYC is so lit. Just got super fucked up now I’m partying with millionaires and ig models. Aoki ab to perform.”
In reality: pic.twitter.com/c4lBsMWIQ3
— Hadj (@niftyHadj) June 20, 2022
- “One thing that i didn’t like about NFT NYC was it was too noisy. With zero quiet spaces. So i hosted my own,” tweeted this pseudonymous NFT collector. And that sounds amazing. However, look at the art they drew. It paints a different picture, if you know what we mean.
One thing that i didn’t like about NFT NYC was it was too noisy. With zero quiet spaces. So i hosted my own. Changed times to accommodate folks flying off. It was small and perfect. We all feel ded 😂 so we painted that 😂😂 pic.twitter.com/4o02jhxw8j
— Vissyarts (@vissyarts) June 24, 2022
- Is this a joke? What kind of panel is this and why did they allow this man to use this vehicle? Plus, there’s no one in the front rows.
NFT NYC in seven seconds. You’re not missing anything. 💀 pic.twitter.com/hEwRH688FX
— Autism Capital 🧩 (@AutismCapital) June 22, 2022
- The Apefest was an NFT NYC satellite event for Bored Ape Yacht Club holders. Were there just men in there? That’s what it looks like in the video.
God help me. This is ApeFest rn pic.twitter.com/BQJE3AymRi
— Biggs (@BiggsCrypto) June 23, 2022
- Of course, that video was shot during the day. At night, legends like Lil Wayne, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Bun B, The Roots, and Future played. So, it couldn’t have been that bad. However, was this the VIP section? Let’s hope this is a joke.
The Apefest VIP section 💀 pic.twitter.com/tF6Z0g0O6T
— ricefarmer.eth 🍚 📍NYC (@RiceFarmerNFT) June 21, 2022
- Speaking about Snoop Dogg, the CNBC article says: “ At one point in a Marriott hallway, a security guard cleared the way for someone who appeared to be rapper Snoop Dogg, who sells branded NFTs. Only upon closer inspection was it clear that the man was an impersonator hired by an NFT company, and that his official conference badge read “Doop Snogg.”
Holy shit that name tag tho https://t.co/s4e3TOJQCK pic.twitter.com/3sHo1hqgBY
— amosmelli (@regiscake) June 21, 2022
That’s pretty cringy, but apparently, it was a marketing ploy by some company. Does that make it better? You be the judge.
NFT-NYC meet Doop Snogg… pic.twitter.com/T9w28UsEc6
— Fair.xyz (@fairxyz) June 22, 2022
- Speaking about marketing ploys, the NFT NYC protestors whose photos took over social media had to be fake. They just had to. The signs are too funny to be real.
nft haters in nyc pic.twitter.com/C9iTkDZkDn
— Loopify 🧙♂️ (@Loopifyyy) June 20, 2022
- A not-so-glowing review of the event by Alex’s best friend.
My best friend’s reaction to attending NFT NYC pic.twitter.com/y9vQcfsKQh
— Alex (@AlexLi98) June 23, 2022
The NFT NYC Conference – The Ugly
Let’s end this with unclassifiable moments that are neither good nor bad. Most of it is ugly, though.
- This video of Goblin Town actors speaking an invented language became a viral hit. Not in a good way. However, as you saw before, it didn’t affect the NFT collection financially.
Wtf just happened?!? @goblintownwtf pic.twitter.com/8SkJH6BpbJ
— 1 👁 willie | 4942.eth |🔺👁🔺 🦇🔊 (@willONEeye) June 21, 2022
Here’s a less popular but equally cringy video of the same actors.
burgers . wtf ???? @goblintownwtf @McGoblinBurger 🍔👹 pic.twitter.com/MHBesFQG5L
— FEWOCiOUS (@fewocious) June 21, 2022
- A “Who’s who”? Really? NFT influencer Carlos Gil tweeted, “My favorite moment of NFT NYC was this one. If you look closely, it’s a “who’s who” of the NFT industry; we were all trying to get into one of the hottest parties hosted by Goblin Town.”
I’m bullish AF on @GoblintownWTF after NFT NYC, especially after seeing every NFT influencer at their party. pic.twitter.com/B3ZXCpAmQy
— CarlosGil.eth (@carlosgil83) June 25, 2022
- We couldn’t find video from the inside of the Goblin Town party, but this one from the Azuki party looks pretty terrible.
gObbiSses lUhVss dUuh @fewocious aTT @AzukiOfficial sEe yOo aGin sOonNz eNN @goblintownwtf … tENks fOHr caPcHer diSs @DadMod_xyz pic.twitter.com/IA1ujFNrEl
— iₘiLLₑᵣ (@IanMiller00) June 24, 2022
- “NFT NYC is just a big wealth transfer from degens to Uber drivers,” tweeted this attendee. That’s hilarious.
NFT NYC is just a big wealth transfer from degens to Uber drivers.
— NFTstatistics.eth (@punk9059) June 23, 2022
- This guy thought it was a good idea to ask Michaela for a date using a giant billboard.
— MenaceToSociety 🥶 (@NFTsAreNice) June 21, 2022
It wasn’t a good idea. At all.
- Is this honest criticism about the event or someone who doesn’t know how to have fun? You be the judge. “NFT NYC had near zero sessions on how to move the tech forward. Paid models dancing with socially awkward bros is not going to advance Web3.”
NFT NYC had near zero sessions on how to move the tech forward. Paid models dancing with socially akward bros is not going to advance #Web3 #NFTNYC2022 #NFTs #Crypto
— ChillOn Musk (wolfofcryptostreet.eth) (@wolfofcryptosr) June 24, 2022
- Speaking about paid models, maybe this wasn’t the best gig for them. “My hot model girlfriends are getting paid to go to NFT NYC events and I quote: “We have to stay till the end and I literally feel trapped,” tweeted Lucy Guo.
My hot model girlfriends are getting paid to go to NFT NYC events and I quote: “We have to stay till the end and I literally feel trapped” 😂
— Lucy Guo (Hiring Engineers & Designers) (@lucy_guo) June 22, 2022
Paid models weren’t alone in the sentiment. “I have much more empathy for models now that I’ve been a woman at NFT NYC after 10 pm,” tweeted Bri Connelly.
I have much more empathy for models now that I’ve been a woman at NFT NYC after 10pm
— Bri Connelly (@web3ri) June 23, 2022
And on that creepy note, our coverage of the event ends. Remember, you can always click here for the positive part of this report.
See you all next year, if the NFT industry recovers.
Featured Image: Goblin Town actors, screenshot from this video | Charts by TradingView
For a while now, Ethereum whales have been moving their coins around. This has been a dire…